September 4, 2020
Nonprofit Law - Associate Attorney
Interested in transitioning from a corporate/transactional practice to working with nonprofit organizations? Looking for more meaningful work with a healthy work-life balance and opportunity for growth?
Boutique law firm that works exclusively with nonprofit organizations and mission driven businesses is looking to hire an attorney with significant transactional experience (minimum of 4-8 years experience) and a commitment to working with nonprofits. Position will start part-time (approximately 10-20 hours per week), with the potential to grow to full-time employment. Remote work arrangements are acceptable. (Currently, the firm is fully remote due to the pandemic.).
The firm focuses on transactional and compliance work for its clients and does not handle litigation. To that end, a typical day can include:
1. Advising clients on corporate governance practices;
2. Preparing corporate governance and organizational policy documents;
3. Drafting and negotiating vendor/project contracts;
4. Negotiating City and State government contracts and subcontracts;
5. Drafting and negotiating collaboration agreements;
6. Advising clients regarding contract management and liability;
7. Advising clients regarding employment law matters, including coronavirus-related employment law matters;
8. Drafting employment policies;
9. Advising clients regarding compliance with the NY Not-For-Profit Corporation Law, Charities Bureau filings, tax-exempt organizations laws and other applicable laws; and
10. Nonprofit organization formation.
The ideal candidate is a top 25 law-school graduate with a minimum of 4-8 years of recent corporate transactional experience and a commitment to working with nonprofit organizations. The firm offers competitive hourly rates for the nonprofit sector, the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to great non-profit organizations, a healthy work-life balance and opportunity for advancement. The following attributes are essential to the position: detail-oriented, practical, results-focused, independent (but works well with others) and ability to follow direction. Prior experience working directly with nonprofit organizations or NYC government is a plus.
This is a unique opportunity for the right type of individual – one interested in working with nonprofits, enthusiastic about working at a small but growing firm with an entrepreneurial environment, and a commitment to delivering excellence in their work. If that description fits you, please submit your CV, with a cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate for this position to HR@deborahbuyerlaw.com.
The firm is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status.